Subject: [Leica] Nomenclature / errata*
From: Leikon35@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 21:46:17 EDT

In a message dated 98-06-05 21:15:00 EDT, Mark wrote:
<<
 I hate to dissent from Marvin, since he, after all, back when he was
 middle-aged, used to quaff an occasional brew with Oscar Barnack, and who
 can argue with the veritable source himself?

 But the ELMAX name, the first lens name adopted by Leica after the Zeiss
 patent on the Tessar had expired (this expiration allowing Leica to call
 their lens whatever they wished) was a contraction of "Ernst Leitz Max
 Berek".

 Mark is write of course &  I am getting to old to tell my Barnacks from my
 Bereks - but I will right the introduction to his new book which is
tentatively
 named  "Aberrations That I Have Known". ;-)    Marvin