Subject: Re: Was: [Leica] Noctilux Now: Summilux
From: TEAShea@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 10:55:26 EDT

<< I don't have a web site where I can display any photos online.  If someone
 would allow me to post a photo on their site for a few weeks, I could send
 them a print to scan in which shows what the 50 summiluxM can do wide open.

The differences in quality are small enough that there is no way a computer
monitor could adequately reveal the level of quality involved.  I have no
doubt that photos taken with the 50 1.4 would look excellent on the web.  The
improvement in the new 50 1.4 would not be revealed by this type of
comparison.

How many lines of resolution can a computer monitor show, even under the best
of circumstances?  Maybe 5-10 lines per mm?  The resolution of quality lenses
and the differences between the current 50 1.4 and the new 50 1.4 are an order
of magnitude greater.

Perhaps this reveals something about the varying standards that different
users have.

Tom Shea