Subject: Re: [Leica] crap guts?
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 06:12:43 +0100

charlie trentelman wrote:
>hey, lighten up. I've had an R3 for 10 years and did have the mirror
>disconnect once, but that's it. I seem to recall several people whose sacred
>r-8s had problems recently.

Hi Charlie,

I guess you should count your blessings then, as there were a great number
of R3's that couldn't be given away and the same innards carried into the
early run R4's. It was the constant break downs of many many R4's that gave
Leitz a great big black mark on thier ability to produce SLR models. The
R4's crashed so often mine 3 of them all bought bew at the same time, were
in for service more time thn in use until I scared the hell out of Leica
Canada with the threat of smashing one of them to pieces on their front
steps before national TV crews.

By the way tv crews from CBC & CTV, as well as CP a wire service
photographer were waiting for me to do it when Leica replaced the worst of
the three with a new camera and stripped the other two replacing completely
new innards in them:)

Hey sometimes it works when you say you are going to do something like
that, but if you make the threat and they don't come through, you had
better be ready to smash that Leica to pieces on the concrete steps...:)

Now that's a scary thought, right? :)

The R3 & early 4's compared to the SL & SL2 as I said, had crap innards!"

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant