Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux
From: TEAShea@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 13:35:55 EDT

<< I'm considering getting a 50 Noctilux to use as a general-purpose lens,
 for when I want to carry only one lens and body.  I would like to
 solicit comments about this.  I've heard it's a great performer at the
 wide-open apertures, but how is it at the other apertures, in brighter
 light?  I can see it's a huge lens, so how does it handle? >>

It does not seem as heavy as I expected it to be.  It does not seem much more
heavy than the 75 1.4.  It produces lovely photos wide open, but one would
hesitate to call them sharp (compared to the 2.0 or 2.8).  Focusing is
critical when using it wide open.  It is solidly constructed and smooth.  It
has the cheapest, ugliest embarrassment of a built in lens hood than one could
imagine.  This ill conceived, ill executed, plastic would be at home on a
disposable camera.  (Of course I do care about how my stuff looks).  I took it
off and threw it away.

In general, I can highly recommend this lens for your consideration.

Tom Shea