Subject: Re: [Leica] A question about the R4 vs. the R5
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 11:55:10 -0300

Eric:

The R4 is a good camera and a cheap way to get into the Leica SLR system.
I own a R4, R4s and two R7's.

The TTL flash on the R7 is handy, but I got perfectly exposed flash shots
on the R4 using the Auto mode of the metz flash.  Unless you need flash for
macro or multiple units, TTL really does not matter much.  There are plenty
of good pictures that have been made with assorted camera brands and a
Vivitar 283-285 set in auto.

As for the other differences, they are minor except for the manual
metering.  In the R4, the manual mode blinks an LED opposite the suggested
shutter speed, and then you turn the shutter speed to match.  The speed set
ont the shutter speed dial is visible in the viewfinder on the R4 but not
on the R4s.  With the R7, the manual mode shows LEDS for over under and
correct.  You move either the aperature or the shutter speed until you get
the proper exposure.  This is similiar to the match needle sytem on most
manual SLRs.  The R7 also benefits from half stop shutter speeds.

Regards,

Robert Stevens