Subject: Re: [Leica] Color print portrait film
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 19:06:11 -0400

Charles Dunlap wrote:

> >Any film recommendations?
>
> Fuji Reala would be my only choice for a portrait print film. Beautiful
> skin tones, fine grained, ASA 100, medium contrast--the ideal choice (and
> frequently used for wedding photography for this reason.) I'm shooting some
> myself at a wedding this weekend.
>
> >Any thoughts on the setup in general?
>
> Shadows can be a little cool in color temp. A slight warming filter
> wouldn't hurt. I'm always wary of flash--if you're shooting in open shade
> then there shouldn't be much need for fill. This will also free you up on
> the shutter speed issue. If you shoot a test roll I would try a few without
> flash.

SNIP

I would have to agree about the need for fill flash in shade: There
really isn't much of one unless you do want the catch-lights in the
eyes. My tendency when doing a portrait in the shade might be to use a
warming reflector (perhaps some gold mylar on a 32x40 piece of foamcore
or one of the collapsible reflectors) just to change the color temp and
add a hint of directionality to the light. If you do opt for flash I
would use it very very subtly, perhaps a stop or more under ambient
levels.

Carl Socolow

Sometimes the wrong thing is exactly the thing you should do.