Subject: RE: [Leica] Powerful image
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 09:11:01 -0400

Alan Hull wrote

I can understand a spectacular picture, (when you say WOW).  But what
on earth is a powerful one?

Yes, a powerful image is one that makes you say, WOW, but not necessarily
because of the technical virtuosity of the photo, but rather, because of
what is conveyed in the photo. Last night I happened to be looking at a book
of photos taken by Bill Burke as part of the Kentucky bicentennial
documentary project. I wouldn't call the photos technically outstanding. In
fact, some are downright underexposed, poorly presented. But they are
POWERFUL photos that take you directly into the lives of the people being
portrayed. Think of Capa's classic of the dying Spanish soldier.
Technically, forget it. But POWERFUL.

But this may all come down, like the term "shooting," to a matter of Brit v.
American idioms.