Subject: Re: [Leica] Red River Plant (off topic)
From: "Richard W. Hemingway" <n5xrd@telepath.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 21:41:36 -0500

Marvin,

> I didn't write this note to you entirely to chat about optics but I lived on
>the
> out-skirts of Detroit as a child & have heard my folks talk about winter
>sports
> at River Rouge.  My father also considered Henry Ford to be a murderous

As a youngster I used to ice skate on the Rouge River - they plowed paths
with high snow banks.  It was a lot of fun, especially at night with a full
moon. Then go get some hot chocolate - also a powerhouse candy bar that was
left outside in a box and was frozen solid and you couldn't bite it!!  Only
owned an old folder camera then - but used to develop and print my own
pictures.

I remember a newreel picture of the Ford security guards dragging Walter
Ruether by his legs down a flight of stairs with his head hitting each one
of them!!  Several of my friends fathers that worked there were beaten up
by the Ford goons.

Wow, these are long buried memories.

Dick Hemingway
Norman, OK