Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: R8 design, Erwins design review
From: dannyg1 <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 05:15:49 +0000

Christian,

While I agree that the R8 is an odd looking camera, the thing that makes it ugly isn't its
shape at all (which gives an aggressive feeling, like a Lamborghini Countach). It's that
chrome sparkly band under the top plate (that surrounds the camera), which imparts a
very un-Leica-like quality, much akin to a Cadillac with a fake sunroof and chrome
wheel trim rings. Lose that one design element and the camera is a quintessentially
German design that fits right into the historic lineage, alongside the Exacta 66 and the
Contarex Bullseye.

I will agree entirely on the one point: The R4 was much easier to love as a 'pretty'
camera.

> Seems Mr. Giugiaro knows some things Mr. Meinzer should learn. The R8
> design is awfull, the most ugliest piece of photographic equipment I've
> ever seen.

Danny Gonzalez