Subject: Re: [Leica] ANGENIEUX = TOKINA (off topic)
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 14:37:58 -0300

> The story I've heard -- and I wouldn't stake my life on its validity -- is
> that Tokina designed the 28-70 f/2.8 and either licensed or sold the design
> to Angenieux. When Angenieux discontinued the lens, Tokina took or bought
> back that design and replaced their then-existing 28-70 f/2.8 (a different
> Tokina design) with the design they had developed for Angenieux because
> they felt the Angenieux optical design was better.

H'm.  I was actually pretty impressed with the 28-70 f/2.8 ATX from Tokina
(optically;  mechanically, at least in the EOS mount which nobody but Canon
seems to be able to do well, it was kind of unpleasing).  Dunno if the new one
(nominally f/2.6, yes?) is even as good.

 -Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>