Subject: Re: [Leica] Elitism and the PRO
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 23:50:45 -0400

Donal,

Truer words never were spoken. When I was in Italy in '92 and France in
'94 I kept a couple bodies loaded with color transparency film and my
Leica loaded with b&w. What I soon learned was that I was evaluating any
color photo in terms of its stock marketability. What I found was that
the photos that had the most truth in them were the ones I made with the
Leica with no ulterior motive other than they were who I was. Now, when
I travel, I may take only a few rolls of color trans but most of my
images are made with the Leica in b&w. That is when I rediscover what I
love about what I do rather than seeing it as work, which is what it has
often become. On the other hand there is no other job that I would
rather do.

Carl S.

Donal Philby wrote:

> Paul Chefurka wrote:

SNIP
  Since signing with a big stock agency, I find that my
> initial feeling of freedom (hey, no art director)  was soon replaced by
> questions of whether the photo was worth taking--are the models perfect,
> can I get releases, is it commercial, slick--nothing less will do.   I
> found myself so critical and afraid to "waste" film on subject that
> wouldn't sell that I found myself cramped and passing by the subjects I
> loved to shoot because they couldn't be used for advertising.

SNIP
> --
> Donal Philby
> San Diego
> http://www.donalphilby.com

- --
Sometimes the wrong thing is exactly the thing you should do.