Subject: Re: [Leica] Focusing lag time with Leicas
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@5senses.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 19:29:54 -0700

8 seconds may be an exaggeration.  More like 5-6 seconds at the maximum.
Sure I can roll the lens into a quick focus in a second and shoot and pray,
but I generaly like to go back and forth so I am sure I have the right point
in perfect focus.  Is this too much work or what?

Why do you prefer SLR for studio?  No I do not know your subject matter...
what do you shoot?

At 08:30 AM 5/23/98 -0400, Dan Cardish wrote:
>At 10:23 PM 22-05-98 -0700, Francesco wrote:
>>This is the same thing I have found since I converted to Leica from Nikon.
>>AF is VERY helpful when shooting people.....especially models.  I used to
>>shoot models with an F5 and
>[snip]
>
>In the part that I snipped you mentioned that it takes upwards of 8 seconds
>to get a shot away.  This seems way to long.  With a little practice, you
>should be able to focus the M6 very quickly,  In a studio situation, where
>you are probably using relatively small lens openings, focus probably
>doesn't have to be that precise, and it isn't as if the model is going
>anywhere. Also, you should try to avoid the habit of hunting back and forth
>for the correct focus point.  With the M-rangefinder, you should be able to
>focus the lens in one pass.
>
>Having said all this, I find in my case that I prefer reflex cameras in
>studio shooting, but not neccessarily AF cameras.  If you are familiar with
>some of the subject matter I work with, I find that my AF cameras have
>problems locking into focus, and can be very annoying.  My favourite camera
>lens combo in the studio is a Nikon F2 with 85/1.4 lens.
>
>Dan C.

Francesco Sanfilippo,
Five Senses Productions
webmaster@5senses.com