Subject: [Leica] Fast M6 Focusing - Was Something Else!
From: AJSymi <AJSymi@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 15:05:29 EDT

<< How do you focus so quickly with an M6 on the street when a scene
 comes up out of the blue? >>

I first pre-focus the camera using the focusing scale on the top ot the lens.
For example, with the 35mmf2.0 asph lens, I set the aperture on f8 and set the
"30" foot mark at the f8 mark on the right side of the lens. Now everything
from about 5 to 30 feet in is focus. I then take an average meter reading (if
the light changes with cloud cover or something, I"ll do this more often) and
set the shutter speed (1/500, thereabout).  Mind you, I'm using black and
white film, with plenty of latitude.  So if the exposure isn't dead on
perrrrfect, we correct that in the darkroom.

Also, shooting at f8, f11 or f16, shows the background of the pic in focus, or
at least you can see what is in the foreground and background.  IMHO, I think
this is important in street photography...showing the "man in his
environment."

Now the fun begins.  The shots are merely a matter of composing and squeezing
the trigger.  This, I beleive is faster than AF.  The only possible delay is
between my brain and my finger :), which I'll admit, is slower on some days,
depending on how much sleep I got or how much I had to drink the night before
:)!!!  The only way I could improve my method would be to perhaps add the
motor-winder, maybe - I would like to try the winder on a trial basis before I
bought one.

Does anyone have ideas for fast street shooting??  Or tips on faster focusing?

Cheers,

Arturo