Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica AF
From: Linus Altain <linus@hindmarsh.com.fi>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 09:51:18 +0000

> One, they will not change their lenses to be loose so that they are
easier
> to focus. AF motors that can focus Leica lenses with adequate
performance
> would drain battery power too much. That's why AF lenses tend to fella

> loose. They've overcome those problems in some instances. Such as the
Micro
> Nikkor 60mm 2.8. Very fine lens. but it still doesn't fell solid like
> Leica lens.

Do you feel that Leica R lenses have a significantly better feel than,
for example, a Canon 70-200/f2.8 lens? Just curious.

> Second, they have to deal with the issues they mention. It's too
expensive
> for even most Leica users to dump a whole system.

I don't follow this argument. If you don't care for AF then what Leica
user would dump their system? There is no need. But if you do care about
AF, then you just  want Leica to deliver the goods - period. If Leica is
intending to one day produce AF, then every year they wait is just
another year for people to collect more of (according to your argument)
potentially obsolete Leica R equipment.