Subject: Re: [Leica] Autofocus & Leica
From: Chris Bitmead <chrisb@ans.com.au>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 08:56:20 +0000

AJSymi wrote:

> If Leica went AF, I think something similar to the AX design would make
> existing R users happy.  IMHO, I think most R users would use an AF body as a
> second body.  Maybe the AX architecture could be done in a slimmer package??

The slimmer the package the less focusing room. The AX already
has problems with long lenses and close focusing.

The other issue is that a lot of lenses weren't designed or
computed to be focused by changing the position of the back. They
are internal focus or whatever. Back focusing is changing the way
the lens works in a perhaps less than optimal way.