Subject: [Leica] Addendum to 3E test report
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 19:50:27 +0200

LUGgers: I 'forgot' to mention flare in my post.
First of all:
decentring is almost perfect and curvature of field is negligable.
Now for flare: five aspects here:
1.a general veiling glare when taking pictures when strong lights are
indirectly reaching the film, seen as a general slight overexposure of the
film
2. the way shadows, dark subjects and subtle object details are recorded
when a strong light is directly into the lens (as example: the sun through
foliage)
3. the halos around point light sources when taking night pictures
4. the way specular highlights are rendered (as example:strong reflection
of the sun in moving water surfaces)
5. the internal reflections of the diaphragm blades (the least interesting
of all types IMHO)

How did the 3E perform:
Type 1: excellent at 50, very good at 35 and excellent at 28
Type 2: very good to excellent at all settings
Type 3: very well suppressed halos and very good rendition of specular
highlights
Type 4: excellent at all settings
Type 5: did not notice any reflections

And in comparison to the fixed length lenses.
Type 1 and 2: the fll performed superb.
Type 3 en 4:  the ffl are  slighty better
Type 5: again no problems here.

Of course it is easy to take pictures to 'force' reflections onto the film:
in these circomstances I would refuse to photograph. My choosen situations
are quite demanding and typical of a variety of shooting environments.

Erwin