Subject: Re: [Leica] Fine grain B&W
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 21:56:56 +0200

Greg,

Thanks for the advice. Rodinal has been my standard developer for a long time, but it is grainy, especially with high speed film. And scanning at high resolutions definitely makes the grain more pronounced. This is an important consideration for me now that all my prints are made digitally. I recently scanned an APX400 negative developed in Rodinal, and the grain was so strong that the scan is useless for printing larger than 4x6 inches. And even then the quality is really not satisfactory. I have concluded that for digital printing, the only acceptable 400 speed films are Ilford XP2 and Kodak T400CN (both are developed in C41 soup).

I have never used APX25 but now I have bought a few rolls and will try it with both Rodinal and Rodinal Special. As for Ilford Delta 100, I just finished a roll which I will develop in Ilfosol-S. According to Ilford's data sheet, for finest grain at EI=100, Ilfosol-S is the optimal developer (diluted 1+14). I will test this film with Rodinal as well.

Nathan