Subject: [Leica] Re: What's the truth about the ROM ?
From: Pascal <pascal.heyman@planetinternet.be>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 23:11:04 +0200

On 16-05-1998 21:52 Lucien wrote:
>My real questions behind this, are:
>Why is Leica so vague about what exactly is transmitted
>by the ROMs ?
>And what are their future possibilities ?
>Is the focusing distance transmitted ?
>Etc...

Well, Lucien, someone (I don't want to disclose my sources) told me that
some of these electronic contacts will make it possible to replace the
current back with a digital one, and that such plans already exist...
Only future will tell :-)

>For the moment, I have to say that I don't see any
>convincing reason to convert all my lenses.
>The size of the 42 MZ3, discourage me to use the R8
>with a flash.

There is an electronic exposure control that adjusts for any
malfunctioning of diafragma and so on, when you are using lenses with ROM
strip on your R8, but only in program and shutter speed priority mode
(logic because then the lens opening is being set by the camera, and this
is precisely what is being compensated for "finetuning"). This is also
mentioned in the German and Dutch language owner's manual.
As for the Metz flash unit, I am using an 32 MZ-3 which suits my needs
adequately. Not too bulky, and all the functions I need. Excellent
results so far.
Best greetings,

Pascal

Who else than Leica could make a camera like the R8 ?
With that unique design and above all: that ergonomics.
Nikon ? Canon ? Nobody but Leica !