Subject: [Leica] equipment update - FYI
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@5senses.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 18:37:42 -0700

Just to let the members of the LUG know (since we all seem to
share an interest in what equipment others have), I sold my
chrome R8 today and immediately went down to my dealer to
buy a wide angle M lens.  I had to choose between the
21 ASPH and the 24 ASPH, and I chose the 24.  I DID NOT
buy the external viewfinder for $300.  I tested my idea in the store,
and sure enough, the area covered by the 24 finder approximates
very closely to the area covered by the M6HM viewfinder window.
Sure, I have to pan my eye around the corners to see the whole image,
but its better than moving the eye back and forth from viewfinder to
finder, and it's better than having that plastic thing dangling on
top of the M6.  I'll let you all know how using the 24 without the finder
works in practice this weekend.
While I was there, I saw my first M-Winder and was amazed at the speed
and smoothness of operation.  It is very light, and it becomes even
lighter when you use LITHIUM batteries rather than alkaline.  There is a nice
on/off switch so you can go back to manual at any time.  When the winder is
on the M6, it feels as if it is part of the body.  It does not rock back and
forth or feel loose AT ALL.  Very nicely done, Leica!  It feels very good
in my hands, and makes the M6 feel even more sturdy than it already is.
Yes, it adds noise, so no M-Winder for close-up unobtrusive work, but for
shooting models, it will be great.  I bought it, not hanving compared pricing
so I don't know if I paid too much or not.  It was $600 new.  Was that a
good price?  BTW, I got my 24mm ASPH for $1995.

Francesco Sanfilippo,
Five Senses Productions
webmaster@5senses.com

http://www.5senses.com/