Subject: RE: [Leica] Do you want flash with that, sir? Yes, and more : a future
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 07:44:16 +0200

On Thursday, May 14, 1998 8:11 PM, Five Senses Productions
[SMTP:fls@5senses.com] wrote:
> I personally like both kinds of images....fill and non-fill, depends upon
the
> situation.  If you want TRUE reality with an M6 and fast lenses, you must
> never use flash or anything artificial.  Now that's hardcore
photography.....

And never use filters, never tweak burn in at print time, never use films
that may have a 'flattering' colour bias (that means no colour pictures),
never crop a print, never use reflectors, never play with Photoshop, etc.
Flash is nothing more than 'bending' the light to the picture's advantage
at shooting stage.

M users have access to a wonderful little tool that deserves to go on
adapting itself to contemporary technologies.

I would thus be delighted  for example if Leica announced its intention to
go on supporting the M mount for future digital developements: very high
res 24x36 sized CCDs would make very good usage of the optical qualities of
the M lens range and it would be a nice way to protect current customer
investments (and shareholders hopes). I have no wish to be pushed in the
margins 5 years from now and be condemned to resort to a niche technology
(film and an industry that will surely decline, in all points of view) or
to trade in my hardly earned M gear (and I can guarantee that there will be
no price bonus and no collector excitement for 'normal' current M6
systems). The S1 makes me think that leica could make such a declaration of
intention...

In the short term, an up to date M box (fast shutter, TTL flash, etc) would
show Leica's will and capacity of supporting technological evolution for
its M line, and serve as a bridge towards the eventual digital M. That does
not entail "killing" the M6, it can go on living just like the FM2 goes on
living, till no one buys it anymore.