Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri-Elmar
From: TTAbrahams <TTAbrahams@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 01:34:19 EDT

Pat, I did shoot 5 rolls of Tech Pan in Charleston with the TriElmar. By the
nature of the film ( 25asa) most of it was shot at f4 and 5,6. On 8x10 I can
see softening of the corners with the 28 setting. The 35 and 50 frames are
sharp right across. The lens is a bit clumsy to use until you get used to it.
Ergonomics aren't that hot. The focus ring is close to the body, the focal
length selector is midway "down" the lens and the aperture ring up front. I
found myself shifting the focal length all the time when I wanted to focus.
Took a while to get used to it! There is very little focus shift going from 28
to 50 and on to 35. It feels a bit like a 90/2,8 Elmarit-M in size and weight.
 I think it is a very interesting lens and my hat of to Leica for putting it
in production. Now I expect to get the 35/50/75 ( or 90) TriElmarit ( f2,8).
Now there is a lens I could learn to love!
 Oh, it is rather strange moving the focal length selector ring and watching
the pre-selector lever on the camera move. I could detect no flare with the
TriElmar, you are supposed to use the 21 or 24 Asph hood with it, but it looks
really funny with so i shot without a hood.
 Tom A