Subject: Re: [Leica] no one can help on this one?
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 21:42:49 -0400

Try the Vivitar 283 with the supplemental Vari-power module. Harrison
had written at length about it earlier this year. The nice thing is that
you can vary the output to accomodate your aperature. It sounds like the
flash you're already using is a manual flash with a fixed output leaving
your only means of control the distance from flash to subject. With the
Vivitar and vari-power you can adjust down to 1/64 I think (not sure).

I also find using a radio trigger very convenient. It doesn't weigh much
on my M cameras (unlike the flash) so the balance is preserved. Also, It
allows more natural placement of the flash relative to the available
light source.

 And, if you're going to be metering anyway you can adjust output
accordingly. One other thing you might want to watch out for when taking
a flash reading in daylight is that the meter (even though in flash
mode) is still reading the daylight. I have this problem with my Minolta
Flashmeter IV unless I use it in the Analyze mode to see the effect of
daylight vs. flash. I agree with earlier advice on using a reflector. It
also eliminates recycle time. Hope this helps.

Carl S.