Subject: Re: [Leica] 80 Summilux-R = 75 Summilux M ?
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 17:50:28 +0100

John wrote:

>Does anyone know if these two lenses are the same?  I've gotten two
>different answers from as many camera store salespersons. The lens element
>diagrams also look very similar.
>
> I think I'd rather use the 80 on an SLR than a 75 on an M for ergonomic
>reasons.  But I have only read comments about the 75 on this list.

John,

I think if photo store sales people are telling you these two lenses are
the same then they must be quite mistaken.

The lenses don't even look the same and one is 5 mm shorter than the other
being for the M and the other for R cameras. I don't quite understand how
they can say they are the same?

However if you have an R camera I'd sure look at the 80mm as it is an
excellent lens and has a great deal of purpose.

Now having said that and  before anyone jumps me, I don't mean to belittle
the 75mm for the M by any means, an incredible lens! I have used both and
sold my 75 simply because I kept chopping heads and whatever due to m6
viewfinder bright line confusion.

Besides I prefer anything longer than 50mm to be used on the R cameras.
Just a personal thing. I guess if I had never owned an R camera I wouldn't
know the difference and would have learned how to make the 75mm work on the
M6.

But the next time a sales person tells you they are the same I really think
you might tell them to read a Leica book on Leica gear! And most certainly
take my business to another dealer! :)

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant