Subject: Re: [Leica] Best camera bag for backpacking
From: henningw@archiphoto.com (Henning J. Wulff)
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 14:12:59 -0700 (PDT)

>Have a look at the Lowe Pro Offroad. It is very nice for your purpose. The
>side pockets are detachable making for a very small, but expandable, pack
>attacing with a waist strap + shoulder strap.
>
>The main bag will easily take an M and 3 lenses.
>
>Harold
>

>  I need room for: 1 body w/ 35mm lens, and
>>spots for two other small lenses.  I would like to carry it around the
>>front of my pack for easy access, and I would like it to be as compact as
>>possible (I'll keep special accessories in my main pack).
>>So far the Lowe Pro Orion is the leading contender.
>>
>>Any  other suggestions?

I recently used an OffRoad clipped to the front of my backpack straps on a
trip to carry 2 M-6 bodies with 4 lenses from 21 to 135 as well as a Mamiya
6 with 3 lenses, plus film and accessories for both, so it might be a bit
more than required. The smaller Orion (old version) I use for a 4x5 field
camera, 4 lenses, 3 graphmatic holders, light meter, focussing cloth and
many little accessories, so again, a Leica with 3 small lenses will rattle
around rather loosely.

Lowepro make a very small belt pouch, which cost about $15 here in Canada
similar to the ones people use to hold their wallets and other small stuff
on trips, and I carry an M6 with 35/1.4 asph., 21/2.8 and 90/2 with 2 or
three rolls of film. With the camera in the pouch it is a little bit tight,
but of course in use the camera is the first thing to come out. It does not
have much padding, but is great for actual use of the camera and the whole
thing is very close to the body, and thus fairly safe from accidental
bumps. I put the lenses in small high quality fleece puouches first. For
more extensive systems (and with better padding) the Lowepro Photorunner
can handle 3 - M bodies and 4 or 5 lenses with accessories with the side
pouches, or 2 bodies with 3 or 4 lenses without the pouches, and is easy to
wear. The only downside, as far as I'm concerned, is that it has a double
top zipper, which I find a bit awkward and is not as weatherproof as a flap
with zipper and/or buckle.

Another option is to use something like the little pouch for the camera
with lens and a couple of more accessories, and then use one or two of
Lowepro belt clip on lens tubes for any lenses. Great versatility, and also
very small size.

   *           Henning J. Wulff
  /|\     Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\      henningw@archiphoto.com