Subject: [Leica] Leica-R models
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 23:40:16 -0400

Tom Kumagai wrote:

>If anybody knows, what are the differences between Leicaflex, Leica
>R3-8?? Also what are the diferences between 1cam and 2cam and 3cam =

>lenses. Are some of these lens don't fit on to some of the cameras =

>above??

Tom

There were 3 Leicaflex models (with minor variations):

Leicaflex: the first Leica reflex camera, now known as the Leicaflex
Standard.  It has an external light meter, mechanical shutter speeds =

from 1 to 1/2000 sec (continuously variable), whith speeds visible in
the viewfinder, and a very bright viewfinder.  The viewfinder's =

brightness was achieved at the cost of a full-focusing viewscreen.  =

You cannot preview depth of field, and the viewscreen is not suitable =

with lenses slower than f/4.0 or for extreme close-up work.  It has a =

mirror lock-up but no DOF preview.  This camera can use all 1-cam =

lenses and most 2-cam and 3-cam lenses.  There are some Minolta-built =

lenses which have a deeper back-focus than the original Leica-R =

specifications, which will not work on the Leicaflex.  These are =

the 16mm fisheye, the 24mm Elmarit-R and an early zoom; I think it =

was 75-200 f/4.5.  Flash sync: 1/100 sec.

Leicaflex SL:  Much like the Leicaflex Standard, except it has a =

full-focusing viewscreen, a through-the-lens selective meter and =

a DOF preview instead of the mirror lock-up.  It can use 2-cam or
3-cam lenses.  1-cam lenses can be used with metering at working =

aperture.  It cannot use the Minolta lenses listed above.

Leicaflex SL2: Like the Leicaflex SL, except the meter is much more
sensetive in dim light, the viewscreen has a split-image focusing =

aid in addition to the SL's microprism, the aperture is visible in
the viewfinder, and the mirror was re-pivoted to allow clearance for =

the Minolta-spec lenses.  It can use 1- 2- or 3-cam lenses (1-cam
with stop-down metering).

Leica R3: the first electronic Leica.  It has averaging or selective
metering, in aperture-priority or manual modes.  A seperate model,
the R3 MOT, accepts a 2 frame/sec winder.  The R3 and all newer R-
bodies use 3-cam, 3rd-cam or ROM lenses.  Flash sync: 1/125 sec

Leica R4: Smaller than previous reflex Leicas, with selective or =

average metering, and manual, aperture-priority, shutter-priority
and program modes.  It also has an interchangable viewscreen and =

the standard model accepts a winder or motor drive.  Shutter speeds
go as fast as 1/1000 sec; no intermediate speeds are possible in =

manual mode.  Flash sync: 1/100 sec.

Leica R4s: a simplified R4, without the shutter-priority or program =

modes.

Leica R4sP:  Also called R4s model 2, it's much like the R4s with =

additional dust seals and idiot-proofing on some of the switches.

Leica R5: the functions of the R4, with the dust seals and idiot-
proofing of the R4sP, plus TTL flash metering and a top shutter
speed of 1/2000 sec.

Leica R-E: Like the R5 but no program or shutter-priority modes.
Think of it as an R5sP.

Leica R6: A mechanical-shutter camera the same size and weight of =

the R4 and R5.  Shutter speeds to 1/1000 sec with no intermediate
settings.  The battery only powers the meter and flash meter.

Leica R6.2: Like the R6, but has a quieter shutter with a top =

speed of 1/2000 sec, and a mirror pre-release function.

Leica R7: Functionally it's much like the R5 but has completely =

re-designed electronics and a mirror pre-release and half-stop =

shutter speeds in manual mode.  It's slightly larger than the =

R4-R6 bodies.

Leica R8: A completely new design, larger and from what I've read
a much better ergonomic design than any Leica reflex since the =

Leicaflex models.  It has an exceptional viewfinder and many more
features and functions than I'm willing to list.  There are =

several R8 users on the LUG.  Ask questions and you'll get
enthusiastic (mostly) answers.

I've used the Leicaflex Standard, the Leicaflex SL and the R4s and
R4sP bodies.  Of these, my personal favorite is the SL because I =

prefer to set everything manually, I like it's bright viewscreen
with the 400mm f/6.8 Telyt, (the continuously-variable shutter =

speeds are also helpful with this lens) and, because I use my left
eye and have large hands, the larger Leicaflex bodies are much =

more comfortable to me than the R4 through R7.

Early production of the R3 and R4 bodies had serious reliablilty
problems.  I suspect that any R3 still functional is free of these =

problems because the trouble usually showed up right away.  R4
failures were limited to serial numbers below 1,600,000, and many
of the affected bodies have been repaired or junked.  I have had
no problems with either the R4s or R4sP bodies.

- -Doug