Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Japan vs. Germany in Korea
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 23:56:55 -0400

Mr Zeitlin

Thanks for a most interesting post.  However, your comments completely fail
to respond, even tangentially, to any of my earlier comments.  Here's why:

a)	The time frame in question is 1947 to 1950, NOT 1952.  It was a
completely, radically, totally different ball-game by then.  The Japanese
economy in 1949 was far more fragile than it was after two years of
intensive American infusion when Japan became the staging area for our
Korean involvement.  And the Japanese camera industry was an accomplished
fact by 1952;  it was not such in 1950.

b)	No one, least of all I, has ever questioned that the Japanese lenses in
question would outperform Leitz lenses of the era -- the Japanese lenses
were thefts of Zeiss designs, and it is almost universally conceded that
the Zeiss lenses would outperform Leitz lenses by a considerable margin on
almost any optical parameter.  What I protest is the theft of the designs
for these Zeiss lenses without compensation.

c)	Nor has anyone questioned the genius of  Nikon in melding the finest
elements of the Leica and Contax RF designs.  Your point IS well taken but,
again, it responds to a point I certainly never made.  What I DO protest,
again, is the theft of both Leitz and Zeiss Ikon patents without compensation.

d)	The $10 price for a Nikon lens is for 1950, not 1952.  My source is
Duncan.  His coverage of these "marvelous" lenses cites the figure.

e)	The cost issue IS a factor, as it was the free-lancers who touted the
superb quality of the Japanese lenses.  And it was the cost factor which
caused them to use these lenses.  It certainly made good sense for them to
do so.  What is annoying is that they then made excessive claims for the
quality of the lenses -- "Japanese lenses outperform German lenses" --
which simply was neither true nor capable of being true, as a copy cannot
be "better" than an original.  It can be identical, yes, but not superior.
And, also, of course, it is annoying that they were praising stolen
intellectual properties, and glorifying theft in so doing.

f)	The reason for suggesting you visit the Archives is to suggest that you
realize that this issue has been pounded to death on the LUG.  Stephen
Gandy and I went back and forth, with citations, some years back, and you
would probably benefit from reviewing our exchanges, as we explored this in
more detail than has been done in the current thread.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!