Subject: Re: [Leica] Elmarit 19 f/2.8 1st Version
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 22:15:05 -0500

At 07:54 PM 5/10/98 -0600, you wrote:

>Is your recommendation based on the physical size of the 1st version
>19/2.8 or strictly on performance?  Price is a big concern and $1000 more

As I remember it, the 19 is not a stellar performer in the edges wide open.
But it's certainly a competent lens. And that extra stop can be very
valuable.

The new 19 is simply an astoundingly good lens. Probably the best wide
angle I've ever used. Not just ultra-wide, but any wide lens I've used.
It's on par with the 35 Summilux ASPH, as much as you can compare two such
different lenses. Flare control is amazing.

As for the 75 Summilux, don't let me discourage  you from getting one. I
love mine.

=========

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

I am Homer of Borg, prepare to be assim...ooh, donuts!