Subject: Re: [Leica] Objectif Summicron-M 90mm. Filtre 49mm.
From: TTAbrahams <TTAbrahams@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 13:36:43 EDT

Yes, the 90/2 with the 49 filter and the really stupid hood was made for two
years, between 1980 and 1982, the serial numbers on most of the ones I have
seen have been in indicated as an earlier lens. Maybe Leica was using up "un-
assigned" numbers. Mine was # 2814063, which would indicate a 1978/79 lens
although the lens was only released in 1980. I think that there was enough
people complaining about the hood sliding over the aperture ring to make even
Leica take notice and redesign it. Optically I think it was the same design as
the current one. As for collectability, who knows. I was offered one not to
long ago and turned it down, as I remembered the frustrations with the hood.
There are some interesting lenses in the 1980 range. The closer focussing
21/2,8 (0,4 m), the elusive "flat front element" 21/2,8 ( evidently recalled
because of poor performance) and the early 75/1,4 with the Noctilux hood as
well as the aforementioned 90/2.
Tom A