Subject: Re: [Leica] Slide mounts -- glass?
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 11:38:44 -0400

Here's what I do. I have most of my transparencies commercially process as
well as I usually shoot Kodachrome. They are returned in cardboard mounts
and I inspect and cull using a light table.

After a period of weeks or months I inspect and cull again on a light
table. I also pick out my better efforts at this time. I then remount them
in glass mounts. I use Gepe if I am buying at retail or others if I find
them at swap meets, which I often do.

I remount on a nice dry day. I just use scissors to cut the cardboard
mounts, blow off the dust and remount them in the clean glass mounts. They
are then protected from damage and will project very nicely.

Cheers!

kw

>I'm pretty ignorant about the whole slide mounting issue-- anyone feel
>like answering some questions about it?  Email is fine if you don't want
>to crowd up list-space...
>
>I get my transparencies developed by a pro lab.  They're always on
>cardboard (?) mounts... I have a slide projector but hardly ever use it.
>I just sleeve all my slides in archival plastic and use a light table and
>a loupe.
>
>How do you change the mounting?  Is this something you request from the
>lab or do you develop your own slides?  Besides the improvement in
>projection, are there other advantages/disadvantages to glass mounts?
>
>Thanks for the insights,
>Georgette

- ----
Ken Wilcox                             Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LHSA, MEA, LAW                      preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
                                                     <kwilcox@gfn.org>