Subject: Re: [Leica] Stupid question: the shutter in the bag
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 13:41:36 -0600

- -----Original Message-----
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
>My M6's manual recommends setting the shutter speed to B when putting
>the camera in the bag to prevent accidental activation of the meter. It
>seems to me that a much easier way is simply to leave the shutter
>uncocked. I have also read somewhere that it is better for the shutter
>to not leave it under tension for long periods. I wonder why the manual
>does not say anything about that. Any thoughts on this?

Congratulations on your new M6, Nathan! I am comfortable with electronic
cameras, but I do admit that I was tending to buy pretty expensive ones,
because it seems that a person must get close to the N90s/F5/EOS-1n range
before one gets a camera which has quick reflexes, and sometimes, only the
very top models seem to have controls designed to be used in a hurry, and
some only reluctantly, awkwardly, relinquish full control. Some
point-and-shoots are capable of very fine results, but my experience has
been that it's almost IN SPITE of the camera, and that effective use of them
requires FOOLING THE CAMERA INTO DOING THE RIGHT THING!

I don't have to resort to trickery to use my Ms effectively, and that, I
very much like.

Regarding the shutter issue: I don't worry much about most focal plane
shutters. Bear in mind that they are ALWAYS under a certain amount of spring
tension, and I don't think that leaving it uncocked makes a big diff. On
some leaf shutters, I've noticed that setting at the higher shutter speeds
requires some effort, as it's apparently (really) tensioning some springs,
and in these cases, I'll mainly ensure that I don't leave it on those high
speeds unless needed.

Secret to Leica happiness: Don't worry about it; just enjoy! They are harder
to wear out than you'd think.

Jeff