Subject: Re: [Leica] Life Mag Eisey Issue
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 21:06:22 -0500

At 05:25 PM 5/8/98 +0100, you wrote:

>Topped off with the bean counter crowd primarily interested only in the
>"bottom line" and moron owners who listen to the bean counters and the hell
>with quality and story telling photojournalistic impact!
>
>I mean, if crap sells, use crap and to hell with quality!
>
>Hopefully we will find a change for the better as we go into the new
millinium!

Ted,

I think you're pretty much right. I'm getting discouraged for my
profession. Not because the image of photojournalists is true. It's not
even close in most cases. It's that publications are slowing moving into an
era where photos are not prized, because they don't need color photos to
justify all that space given to color ads. It's a sad day for everyone out
there who cares about real photography. Journalism or not.

I too hope that the pendulum will swing to not worshiping money like is
done these days. To answer only to stock holders demands for
ever-increasing profits at the cost of ever-decreasing quality.

And let's hope Leica isn't headed in that direction. From the lenses
they're making, doesn't sound like it. But they need to get their camera
planning back on track.

=========

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO