Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 HM focusing improvement
From: TTAbrahams <TTAbrahams@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 19:53:51 EDT

Don

 I was just wondering when someone was going to comment on this! Well, Roy
Moss already told me about it in Charleston last month and he did not catch it
while proofing the Viewfinder either. I did it on purpose; in my book a -lux
suffix indicates a f/1,4 lens, a - cron indicates a f/2 lens, a Elmarit is a
2,8 lens and an Elmar is f/4. All right, the Noctilux is f1 and the Summaron
is 2,8 etc. The original 50/2,8 was an Elmar I grant you that, but in the last
20 years Leica has been remarkably consistent in getting it right with the
nomenclature. The New 50/2,8 is an Elmarit, all it shows is that I am right
and Leica was wrong! That should give rise to several letters to the editor in
the next Viewfinder. I think Leica should give us all new front rings, reading
Elmarit 50/2,8 instead or even better, redo the ring on all new production,
thus ensuring those of us who bought the 50/2,8 Elmar a higher degree of
appreciation as we now have a mislabeled Leica Lens! I have been thinking of
having mine re-engraved to read Elmarit 50/2,8 just to confuse the issue.
I am surprised so few people have caught it though. I have had comments on the
article and on the Hexanon lens, but only Roy and you have really caught the
mistake.
All the best,
Tom A