Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V3 #30
From: "adrian bradshaw" <abpeking@public.bta.net.cn>
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 18:43:20 +0800

Eric wrote,

>You can't seriously compare those two lenses. The Nikon is a good lens, but
>it's hardly any competition for the Leica lens, optically. Who cares about
>the rest? And who cares about "leadership" when it comes to technology.
>I'll take optical quality any day, if I don't need the technology.

You might and I might go for the optical quality now but most of the people
in the market (whether professional or amateur) would have gone for the
Nikon for the very good reason that it existed ten years before Leica came
up with anything competitive. And as for 'who cares for "leadership" when it
comes to technology' I would have to say it is clear that it is 99%+ of all
the people in the market for this type of product, hence the tiny market
share and growing cost differential between Leica and other pro-grade 35mm
camera systems over the years. I was comparing the technology levels not
individual lenses in this case. Lest I give the wrong impression I would
like to point out that I use Leicas professionally (Ms anyway) and have done
for my entire career from the point at which I could afford one. Now I have
6 Ms, 8 lenses and would use Rs if they had an R8 motor, better availability
and more high speed zoom lenses to replace the EOS 17-35, 28-70 I use. For
me Leica's technology is behind Canon's in many important areas but when the
opportunity arises I am happy to use the Ms and the finer lenses. In most
cases in 35mm photography it is getting the picture that is most important
and the colour quality, sharpness and general pleasure in using Leicas are
luxuries for my own satisfaction rather than my clients appreciation. The Rs
would also be for enhancing the pleasure I get from the tools of my trade
rather than being a justifiable business expense but the hit I would take
technolgy-wise would be too big at this stage. If my work was not so
peripatetic I would consider having Rs as an adjunct to my EOS system but
they are too heavy to carry in addition to what I have already.

Bests

Adrian