Subject: [Leica] M3 Shutter Problem
From: Nick Hunter <nhunter1@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 22:56:41 +0100

Photos returned to me today show a problem has developed with my M3's
shutter. The problem is an underexposed edge on all pictures shot at higher
shutter speeds, 250-1000. At first I assumed the shutter was "tapering"; on
closer inspection this evening, I'm not so sure. It's the left edge of the
print as viewed, but that would be the right side as the negative goes
through the camera upside down. So I think it's the right edge (as viewed
from the rear) which is underexposing. That would be the first part of the
negative to be exposed. Doesn't tapering occur at the end of the shutter
travel? The dark area has two distinct edges, each bordering progressively
darker areas. The dark area is not black, however, just a couple of stops
under.

Obviously this is a job for an expert, and I'm thinking Sherry Krauter. I
just thought someone here might have an idea what this is. I don't need the
camera right away, so I may shoot another test roll. Any thoughts?

Nick Hunter