Subject: Re: [Leica] First M system choices
From: eyes1@webtv.net (Isaac Crawford)
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 22:27:52 -0400

Thanks for the suggestions...I came up with my list of lenses by looking
at what I shoot with now.  My most commonly used lenses now are a 135
f2.5, 50mm 1.4, and 85mm f1.8 (all Pentax).  I don't use a 35mm right
now, but it just wouldn't seem right to own an "M" without one...:-)
Someone suggested going with a 90 instead of the 75...my pocketbook
would thank me (I think), but can the 90 compete with the 75 optically?
I'll probobly end up going with an M6HM, because I really do plan on
using the 135 and 90 (75?) quite often...but I also want to be able to
use the 35 whenever I can...
     As far as ASPH or non in 35mm, are there big differences betweeen
them in the middle aperatures?  I realize wide open will be much better
with the ASPH, but I don't know if I shoot wide open (with wide angle)
enough to justify the extra money...  If someone can tell me that the
ASPH is better acrss the board, then that's what I'll get.  Keep in mind
that I'm looking for "the look" moreso than absolute sharpness...after
seeing some images made by the 35mm f2 (latest version...the so-called
King of Bokeh according to Photo techniques...) I fell in love...If the
ASPH can do that AND be sharper at the same time, that's the lens for
me...  Thanx!

Happy Shooting!

eyes