Subject: Re: [Leica] It is all their fault ...
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 20:05:05 -0400

At 04:21 PM 5/4/98 -0300, you wrote:
>At 3 May 1998 22:40:23 EDT, TEAShea <TEAShea@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Tina and Erwin... Tina's enthusiatic comments and Erwin's insighful
>> analysis of the 50 1.0 did me in.  I gave in and got one.

 A fascinating, weird lens, and yet another example
>of how misleading it can be to read too much into arbitrary formal tests
>of something whose normal usage involves a complex array of factors.

>I find I don't find its weight and bulk nearly as annoying as the 1m
>minimum focusing distance.  0.7m is limiting enough;  1m makes me keep
>scooting away from people.  And I'll *probably* get used to the long
>focus-ring travel...
>
> -Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>

Absolutely, Jeff!   I agree with everything you said.  The closer you get,
the more critical the focusing will be.  I just finished a series with the
Noctilux where I had to focus quickly or not get the picture.  We were
delivering Meals on Wheels to the elderly and I had to take the photos
within the 2-3 minutes that the volunteer could spend at each house.  The
houses were very dark - 1.0 - but I knew that I had to get several feet
away or the depth of field would be impossible.  I would much prefer to be
closer, but there is not enough light. What a challenge!  It would have
been totally impossible without the Noctilux (I suppose I could have used
#$%^&*( FLASH)!!  NEVER!!   Leically yours - Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
<http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>
<http://www.aperture-photo.com/site/reportage/manley/manleyframeset.html>
<http://www.onlineartistleague.com/manleyt/portfoli.htm>