Subject: RE: [Leica] Italian 35/2 Asph. with 35/1,4 ring
From: "Fantoni, Ernesto" <Fantoni@PHIBRED.COM>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 08:58:00 -0500

Dear Lucien,

sorry for the late answer, but I've read yr message only this morning,
since my server's been out of order for a couple of days. Anyway here's
the translation:
"I recently got a chrome Leitz (sic) Summicron M 35/2 Asph. As you can
see from the attached picture, the depth-of-field scale starts at F =
1.4,
albeit the max aperture is F2.0.They made a mistake while assembling =
the
lens? What can I do?"
Answer:
"Nothing wrong in your lens:as central refer index, instead of a simple
bar (=3D zero depth-of-field), has been engraved a number not related =
the max aperture, just for filling the scale"

My good friend and celebrated M Superfan Guido Ridoli told me he has
both lenses and they clearly made a mistake assembling that lens:in his
S'lux the central point's engraved with 1.4, while the S'cron has 2.0.

My comments:the usual lack of quality control we already know? The =
Asian
crisis?

Ernesto