Subject: [Leica] Re: an objective evaluation of leica M lenses
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 22:15:59 +0200

On 02-05-1998 18:03 director@ubi.edu wrote:

>They say that in the FUTURE it will be possible to order from the
>Boutique Chasseur d'Images, all the tests of the Leica lenses,
>made in past, in a binder.

This is good news indeed. I have already collected a lot of their Leica
related tests but am missing some. Here is what I already have from
Chasseur d'Images:

M lens series
21 f/2.8 ASPH
24 f/2.8 ASPH
28 f/2.8
35 f/1.4 ASPH
35 f/2.0
35 f/2.0 ASPH
50 f/1.0
50 f/1.4
50 f/2.0
50 f/2.8
75 f/1.4
90 f/2.0
90 f/2.8
135 f/2.8
135 f/4.0

R lens series
15 f/3.5 (idem Zeiss Distagon)
28 f/2.8
35 f/1.4
50 f/2.0
90 f/2.8
100 f/2.8 Apo
180 f/2.0 Apo
180 f/2.8
28-70 f/3.5-4.5 (new version)
35-70 f/4.0 (new version)
70-180 f/2.8 Apo
80-200 f/4.0

Badly needed from my "missing list":
R 19 f/2.8 (the corresponding magazine is sold out)
R 50 f/1.4 (same as above)
R 80 f/1.4 (apparentely this lens has been tested but I don't know in
which number as it is not mentioned in their overview of lens tests)
Apo-Extender 2x (the corresponding magazine is sold out).

If anyone could help with these missing tests, I would be very glad!

I do believe that their tests are quite reliable, although the "star" end
result should be taken with a grain of salt. The results can only be
compared within the same aperture class (because they weigh at three
different f stops which are not the same for all lenses). Therefore their
bar diagram for overall sharpness/contrast at most f stops is very useful
(center/corners). But on the downside, sharpness and contrast are not
shown separately.

Pascal
Belgium

t h i n k   d i f f e r e n t               a p p l e    c o m p u t e r