Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica lenses stopped down below 5.6
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 23:31:30 -0500

At 08:06 AM 5/1/98 -0700, you wrote:

>Do any of you frequently shoot at f/11 or 16 or 22?  From what I
>gather here, most of you love shooting wide open....

Depends on what I am doing. Some times the depth of field is more important
than
absolute sharpness. For example, if I want to photograph a crawdad crossing
a flooded road, and have the city in the background in focus at the same
time, like I did a month or so ago, then f/16 or smaller is the only choice.

I never hesitate to use F/11. I use F/8 a lot in the studio. Our lights are
too powerful to easily get any lower in our tiny room. (I didn't buy them!)

All you have to do is take two pictures. One at f/2.8 and one at f/22 and
see the difference for yourself. It's not that much. But diffraction does
get worse with wide angle lenses at smaller apertures.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Maintenance-free: When it breaks, it can't be fixed