Subject: Re: [Leica] Canon 85/1.8 LTM
From: "Bresler" <bresler@oeonline.com>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 23:32:30 -0400

Ray,
I have a Canon Serenar 85mm f1.9 that I bought about 5 years ago. With an M
adapter included I paid less than $130.  I am always amazed  that the lens
is as good as it is.  I'm a newspaper photographer by trade and use it in
court where the near-silent shutter is important. I generally try to shoot
at no larger than f2.8 although the lens is still pretty darn good wide
open.
As far as my lens is concerned it was made in the early 1950s...probably
1952.
These lenses were considered Japanese junk until Korean War shooters
started using them. The negatives they sent back to Life magazine, etc.,
changed the minds of a lot of photographers.
Other than that I know very little about it except that it works
great and saved me a hell of a lot of money.
Bill Bresler