Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica lenses stopped down below 5.6
From: LRZeitlin <LRZeitlin@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 18:52:44 EDT

My message was interupted by an internet gremlin. As I was saying, a
theoretically perfect lens is at its sharpest when wide open. Consult a good
photographic optics text book for the details. In practice, even Leica lenses
do not approach perfection. Aberations of many sorts tend to decrease when
stopped down. At the same time, diffraction effects caused by the light
passing the edge of the diaphragm increase. The conjoint effect of both
factors results in maximum sharpness when the lens is stopped down two or
three stops from maximum aperture. For an F2.0 lens, this would be about F4.0.
The maximum sharpness region continues to about F8 at which point diffraction
effects begin to predominate. About F16 is the smallest stop for most normal
lenses that gives acceptable results. Experiment a little with different stops
and you will see what I mean. - LarryZ