Subject: Re: [Leica] Identity of Leica Screw mount Camera
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 22:41:20 +0200

At 16:52 01.05.1998 -0300, you wrote:
>The serial number of the camera is 258217 and the lens looks like
>an uncoated 5cm f2 Summar serial number 383584.

According to Laney, it's a Leica IIIa, produced in 1937. The
lens is produced in the same year, and is kown for it's soft
front element. It is one of my favored lenses because of it's
3D rendition. It's best performance is between f 3.2 and 6.3;
at f 2.0 it's very soft and the corners are a little dark.
I have chromes, taken at f 9, which agree in sharpness to the
rigid chrome Summicron, while color saturation is a little
lower. In Germany, you need to pay for that camera (ex+, with
box and papers) around DM 1.000, about USD 560, UKP 340, maybe
more.

Alf

Alfred Breull
http://members.aol.com/abreull/index.htm