Subject: Re: [Leica] M5/CL batteries
From: Charles Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 15:34:14 -0500

I believe there was a fairly extensive discussion of the PX625
mercury/alkaline/Wein battery situation on the Rollei list a few months
back.  One message I recall rather clearly said that the life of the
Wien batteries was dramatically affected by humidity.  The poster was
from North or South Carolina (as I recall) and said that he had Wein
cells which had lasted more than a year installed in the camera (I think
we were talking Rollei 35) while someone in the desert Southwest was
only getting a few months of life after peeling the tape off the
breathing hole.  If you live where it's dry this won't give you much
comfort, but as one living in the humid midwest my anxiety level on the
subject went down a few notches after reading this (I have a CL, Nikon
FTn, Olympus Pen FT, Rollei 35 and Olympus 35RC, all of which use the
625).

Cheers,
Kip Babington