Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh? Summilux Aspherical?
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 12:49:56 -0300

> Both of these were made with the 35mm/1.4 Summilux - one of my
> favorite lenses.  Can anybody tell me if the aspherical version of
> this lens gives the same look?  I know it is supposed to be sharper,
> but I am more concerned with the "look" than the resolution. [...]
> Should I mortgage the house for an aspherical or not?

What you've written sounds like a textbook argument *against* the
ASPH *for you*.  But nobody can answer this for you.  You need to take
pictures with a Summilux ASPH and see if you like them.

What part of the world are you in, again?  Which of us is best
situated to lend you lenses?

It's an amazing lens (I've gotten to use a friend's on occasion).  But
under just a few conditions, the rendition of out-of-focus areas can
be, well... Alf has said `blocky', I've said `jangly'.  The Summicron
ASPH doesn't ever seem to do this, out-of-focus regions stay smooth,
but never so much as the previous Summicron, where it can seem as if
backgrounds go back forever, just gradually becoming less distinct.

But... the ASPHs can supply a really viscerally snappy rendition of
the stuff that's in focus.  I'm very, very fond of my Summicron ASPH.

> The URL is:   <http://members.tripod.com/~Tina_Manley/index.html>

As we've come to expect from you, great photos.

 -Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>