Subject: Re: [Leica] To: "INTERNET:leica-users@mej" <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
From: LRZeitlin <LRZeitlin@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 12:15:47 EDT

The collapsible seven element 50mm f2.0 Summicron is probably the sharpest
lens ever offered to the general public, as least as far as pure lines/mm
resolution is concerned. This lens was offered in the early 50s when most
Leica photography was B&W and contrast could be easily manipulated by paper
selection. It is the lens that won the famous Modern Photography "shootout"
beating Nikon, Canon, and Olympus in terms of resolution, topping over 100
l/mm on high resolution film.

When color photography took over most of the market, Leica recomputed the lens
to maximize contrast rather than resolution. The later configuration is six
elements. Leica asserts that the visual effect is to give a sharper, more
contrasty impression although the actual resolution is slightly poorer than
the older model lens. Both are named Summicron, by the way. The later lenses
are fixed mount only.

Either is an excellent lens. If I shot a lot of B&W, I would opt for the older
lens, if a lot of color, I would go for the newer.

LarryZ