Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh??
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 23:32:48 -0700

At 01:07 AM 5/1/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Dear LUG:
>
>I've seen this term used many times with regards to lenses and their
resulting
>effects on film.  One simple question...
>
>WHAT IS BOKEH??
>
>I think I know.  I think I'm not sure.  Please explain.  I hope this doesn't
>turn into a filter thing, or worst, a perspective thing!!  It is an effect,
>right?  Not an opinion....
>
>Thanks
>
>Arturo

As defined in Photo Techniques:

"The word "Bokeh" comes from the two katakana characters "bo" and "ke" which
mean "out-of-focus blur" Bo ke have been transliterated from "boke" to
"bokeh" so that English speaking people will pronounce it correctly."

"A PRIMER ON BOKEH"
   1. What is Bokeh
   2. Notes on the terminology of Bokeh
   3. A technical view of Bokeh

Photo Techniques, May/June 1997 issue.

Back issues available from the publisher:

Preston Publishing
6600 W. Touhy
Niles, IL 60714 - 4588
(847) 647-2900