Subject: Re: [Leica] Contax G-2
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 23:10:56 -0400

Take this for what it's worth.  I use a G1, a G2, an M4-P and miscellaneous
SMs, Zeiss, Leitz, and various Russian lenses.  I have a single SLR w/ a
macro/zoom.  I"m not a pro: rather a serious amateur (for nearly 30 years
now, it pains me to say).  I *really* like the  Contax system. It's, as you
say, a question of comparing chalk and cheese.  The Contax is manifestly
*not* a P&S, and I'd argue that, for some, it might be an attractive
"alternative" to Leica.  As to cheapness--well, what does that mean
precisely?  I shot hundreds of frames through the 21 Super-Angulon.  I now
use the 21 Biogon and prefer it. I wonder, in the great scheme of things,
how many folks could, in the end, in a blind tasting, so to speak, tell
them apart.  I don't know much about the aspherics, because I can't quite
find it in myself to drop a couple of grand for a lens; what I know is that
the Zeiss and Leica lenses that I do own do for me what I want: they record
with fidelity and a certain, positive presence the way light ought to look
when captured on film.  I don't need to rationalize the purchase of the
Contaxes, because I've used Leicas my entire 'photographic' life, and,
quite frankly, I can afford to buy what I want.  The Contax is a system in
it's own right, not an "alternative" to anything, let alone a "cheaper"
one. "Seriousness" resides in the eye, not the tool.

Chandos Michael Brown

At 02:56 PM 4/29/98 -0700, you wrote:
>B.D.
>
>Take this for what it is worth.  At the photo store across the street they
get, maybe twice a year, a G-1/G-2 outfit in the used department.  In every
case I can remember the owner traded up to a Leica.  I assume that those
who bought it as a super duper P&S have kept it and love the results, and
those who have bought it as a cheaper, AF alternative to Leica have
realized their mistake.

  !