Subject: [Leica] M6HM and DR Summicron mounting
From: cummer@asiaonline.net (Cummer Family)
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 23:03:51 +0800 (HKT)

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998 06:24:22 -0400

Doug Williams wrote:
>I am considering getting a new M6HM and I have a 1958 vintage DR >Summicron
I wish to use on it some of the time.  I know some members had >difficulty
mounting their DR Summicrons on the regular M6.  Has anybody >had a problem
mounting the DR Summicron on the new M6HM?

Doug, I reported to the LUG several weeks ago about my experience of trying
to mount my DR Summicron on the M6HM at the Leica Agent's in Hong Kong. In
normal focusing range it mounts and focuses fine, but you can't pull out the
focusing mount and rack it over to the near focus range and attach the
spectacles. The agent took note of the problem, sent an inquiry to Solms,
which replied over night that they would instruct the repair depot on how my
DR needed to be modified to work on the M6HM. Haven't heard back yet from
the repair depot to bring in my lens. At a Kowloon camera shop (Cameron's
near the Hyatt) I tried the DR on another M6HM body and had the same
experience, but Mr. Chin, the shopowner, with the Summicron off the camera,
twisted the focusing mount into the close up range and then mounted the lens
on the camera and put the spectacles on the lens and it focused fine in the
Close up range. So, for my lens (a later model serial # 2097422) you have to
dismount the lens to switch between normal focus and CU modes. On my regular
M6 you can switch without removing the lens. Hope this is clear and useful.
Howard Cummer