Subject: Re: [Leica] Pictures taken with SOOKY-M
From: Chris Bitmead <chrisb@ans.com.au>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 03:09:32 +0000

Richard W. Hemingway wrote:

> Aart,
>
> >     among objects, near to far, is approximated by an 85mm lens.  Can any
> >     LUG member who HAS some optical expertise confirm that latter notion?
>
> Here is a great totally non-scientific view.  I once owned a Hassy with an
> 80mm lens and an R4 with a 50mm lens.  Looking through the viewfinder of
> each with one eye and at the scene with the other - I found that the 80 was
> practically an overlap of what I saw with my other eye.  I have noticed
> this also with SLR's with about a 75-80mm lens.  Probably not worth 2 cents

Sorry to confirm your suspicion ;-)

The length lens that makes things look the same size looking
through the viewfinder is of no consequence. It is purely a
function of viewfinder magnification. This varies from one camera
to another and there is nothing especially special about it from
an optical point of view.

- --
Chris Bitmead
http://www.ans.com.au/~chrisb