Subject: [Leica] Re:XTOL developer
From: Jim Hurtubise <jim@inap.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 09:21:43 +0100

> I'm also interested in your use of Xtol. I tried it and got very thin
> negatives, following Kodak's times and the warning to use plenty of
> developer to avoid exhaustion. I suppose I should do some real
> testing, but
> no time. I decided to stick with what I know.
>
> Again, really nice stuff.
>
> Bill Welch

I have recently begun some testing with the XTOL developer. I have found
that extending the
published developing times by about 45 to 60 seconds has given me better
density in
my negatives. I develope two 35 mm reels in a small tank with 24 oz. of
solution diluted
1:2 at 68 degrees.  XTOL does seem to be weak in the shadow areas so
over developing
helps. So far I have not had any blocking up in the highlights. I also
agitate 5 to 10 secs
every 30 seconds. I have only just begun this testing so I would suggest
that anyone
run there own tests before doing any serious developing, but from what
I've seen and heard
so far I really like this developer. Not quite as sharp as rodinal
though.

Jim Hurtubise